October is Cybersecurity Awareness Month, and what better time to talk about two of the most important things you can do to protect your online accounts: creating strong passwords and using a password manager.
What is a strong password?
A strong password is one that is difficult to guess or crack. It should be at least 12 characters long and include a mix of upper and lowercase letters, numbers, and symbols. Avoid using common words or phrases, or personal information such as your name, birthday, or address.
How to create a strong password?
Here are a few tips for creating a strong password:
- Use a mix of characters. Your password should include upper and lowercase letters, numbers, and symbols. This will make it more difficult for hackers to crack.
- Make it long. The longer your password is, the more difficult it will be to crack. Aim for at least 12 characters, but longer is better.
- Don’t use personal information. Avoid using your name, birthday, address, or other personal information in your passwords. Hackers often use lists of common passwords and personal information to try to break into accounts.
- Make it unique. Don’t use the same password for multiple accounts. If one account is compromised, hackers will have access to all of your accounts if you use the same password for each one.
What is a password manager?
A password manager is a software application that helps you create and store strong passwords for all of your online accounts. Password managers use encryption to protect your passwords.
How to use a password manager?
Here are a few tips for using a password manager:
- Choose a reputable password manager. There are many different password managers available, so do some research to choose one that is secure and easy to use.
- Create a strong master password for your password manager. Your master password is the only password you need to remember to access all of your other passwords.
- Store your password manager in a safe place. You don’t want to lose your master password, or someone else could access all of your passwords.
- Use your password manager to generate and store strong passwords for all of your online accounts.
Creating strong passwords and using a password manager are two of the best things you can do to protect your online accounts. By following the tips above, you can make it much more difficult for hackers to access your personal information.
Need to secure your business from cyber threats? Learn more here.